Friday, February 22, 2008

When It Was All Over

On Tuesday morning, I drew a double plus ticket from Room In The Inn, which was good for a bed Thursday night. That meant I would have two nights without a place to go, except the rescue mission. And if you are any regular reader of this blog, you know that the mission is to be avoided at nearly all costs.

I was going to be up all night on Wednesday night, for the Homelessness Radio Marathon. So that left me with finding something for Tuesday night. Also, if I was to pull off another all-nighter, I was going to need some serious rest. And if at all possible, I would need to sleep in some.

So, I emailed some friends, the couple who let me stay at their house on my birthday, and asked for a big favor. And they didn't hesitate. They said I could stay at their house for the night.

Despite the comfortableness of their house, and that bedroom and bed, I slept too hard. My apnea was in high gear, and I woke up several times during the night. And in the morning, I had a headache. Still, I stayed in bed until about 6:30 am. and then went back to sleep for a while, and then just laid in bed for some time. I took some aprin. Still, the headache stayed with me most of the day, and drained a good bit of my energy.

I observed the Marathon, and though I wanted to speak, either there were others talking, or I didn't have the nerve. To see the speakers at the microphone, you had to be outside with them. But being outside with the speakers meant you couldn't hear the conversation. So you had to go inside to keep up with what was being talked about. Inside was also much warmer. I never did talk on the show. But that's ok. At one point or another, everthing I would have said, someone else said it instead.

In the morning, towards the end of the broadcast, things got real crazy, as the people who had been sent out to churches the night before were returning to the campus and disrupting the radio show. So, I took off early and went on up to Starbucks at the hotel, and stayed their until the library opened. Instead of my regular caffeine loaded drink, I got a hot chocolate instead. And that was the ruin of me last night.

During the day, yesterday, I stayed mostly at the library. I kept falling asleep in my chair, and a couple times security came by to check on me. There is always the threat that the security people would toss me out of the library for sleeping. Luckily I wasn't. For the last few hours, I sat at a table with a friend. And although twice he told me it was time to go back to Room In The Inn, I instead fell asleep with my head on the table. Luckily, I came to, just enough to recognize that I had just enough time to get down to the campus and get into the shelter. Once in the shelter, my headache started coming back.

I was sent out to a nice church - Christ UMC in Franklin. Dinner was great, and served up by the church youth group, but my tiredness and my headache prevented me from enjoying it much.

Going without sleep for a night now takes me at least two days to recover from. And it also causes my sleep apnea to be worse than usual. So, I was expecting to have a bad night anyway. And as the night progressed, I noticed that I was having a caffeine deprevation headache. Cause I had that hot chocolate in the morning, instead of my usual coffee. So, I was having two types of headache at the same time. One from my apnea, and one from the lack of caffeine. On top of all that, I could not find my bottle of asprin. It must have fallen out of my jacket at some point.

And so it was that I got very little sleep again last night. I guess he could see it on my face, but one the homeless mexicans with the group asked if I was alright - it was very broken English, and mostly gestures. We communicated well enough that he shared with me some Ibuprophen he had - 400mg tablets. He gave me three and told me to take them all at once. I took one.

Right now I'm feeling fine, and have the two other tablets if need be. This morning I drew a ticket for Room In The Inn that I think will get me in, tonight. With some more sleep, I should be feeling more like myself tomorrow.

I am currently at Starbucks in the hotel, and drinking coffee - writing this blog - and waiting for the library to open.

1 comment:

  1. I know you do the best you can to take care of yourself under the circumstances....but take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete