Monday, April 14, 2008

Good Morning Monday

For the past three days we, here in Nashville, have been experiencing near freezing temperatures in the mornings, with highs in the 40s. It happens like this almost every year. We have a warming trend, and it becomes too much to carry around my big jacket that kept me warm during the winter, and so I ditch the jacket. Then we have another cold snap and I end up running around town in t-shirts. Currently, I have 3 t-shirts on. Tomorrow, it will start warming up again, with a high in the 60s, and 70s for the rest of the week. I'll just have to grin and bear the cold for one more day. Oh, and this cold snap has really driven the homeless to the shelter of the rescue mission. I'm glad I went down there early to sign up for a bed - even then I had to cut in the line to make sure I got a bed assignment - doing so is not something I'm proud of, but it was a necessity. Many Many people had to sit up in the dayroom all night.

Oddly, I didn't have any emails waiting for me this morning. Then I remembered that I haven't made an offical post to my blog in a while. I've made changes and additions to it, but those don't get registered by search engine bots - just the posts do. Readership has also dropped off too - for the same reason. Looks like lots of people are using RSS readers now, and they don't bother to visit websites if they don't first pop up in their readers. Well, and Google still doesn't recognize my blog under the keyword "homeless." Which is odd because for the longest time, I enjoyed the number 5 spot on the front page of that search. That was when I blogged with blogspot. But when I moved over to WordPress, suddenly everything changed - at least with Google. With Yahoo, I'm still on the front page of that keyword search. Seems like Google is just being vengeful. When I did switch to WordPress, I did have some unkind things to say about Blogger - which Google owns. Could that be the reason? Most of those readers I've lost were lookie-loos anyway, but still, it effects my daily readership numbers by a couple hundred.

One person has offered me a laptop. It's an older one, and I suspect I won't be able to run SecondLife.com on it, but at least I've have access to the internet. I've recently read that most laptops cannot be upgraded with the types of videocards necessary to run SecondLife.com. That is because of the space constraints with the laptops themselves. Those gaming video cards are bigger than the average ones used.

So, I'm still looking buy a better laptop Een used, the kind of laptop I really need would cost over a thousand dollars. So, I'll still be fund raising till I get enough. I apologize if my requests for money are annoying, but I don't have any other way to raise the funds necessary. I've been shopping around quite a bit, and think I can get what I need for about $1200 to $1500.

My deepest thanks to all you who have donated to this cause, and to all you who will be donating soon.

4 comments:

  1. Kevin,
    Just sent in a small donation towards your laptop. Also, since I don't know if PayPal includes the full note, I made a suggestion that you add Google Analytics to your template which will help drive the Google bots to your site for indexing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slow but sure you are getting there. No you are not annoying with requests for help. If you don`t ask you don`t get. Good luck and ask away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting blog. I'm sure that you and your caseworker are exploring your housing options--I look forward to reading your posts regarding this.

    -Rob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kevin,

    When you earn enough to purchase your laptop, I recommend you check out www.newegg.com

    This website is THE BEST place for electronics. (trust me, im a nerd) They wont screw you like BestBuy. Prices are cheap there, shipping is fast, lots of sales and such.

    I also recommend you look into ASUS laptops. They are priced very well and give a lot of bang for the buck. Plus theyre higher quality and have better support than Dell and all that.

    Good luck,
    Alex.

    ReplyDelete