Saturday, May 24, 2008

Full Circle

Just a little over 18 years ago, I watched my son come into the world. Born at Baptist Hospital, I was there to witness the event.

Yesterday, I watched him take that ceremonial step into adulthood as he accepted his high school diploma.

I got to shake his hand. He gave me a hug. I got to tell him that I was proud of him. He gave me a smile, and told me he was glad I could be there.

He was given the John Philip Sousa Award.

Because the person who gave me the ride down to my son's home town, about an hour's drive from Nashville, had to get back, I couldn't stay too long. But it was a good few minutes I got to spend with my son. Quality time.

My daughter was there too, and though at our last encounter she seemed a bit leery of me, before I left, she came around from her mothers side to give me a hug too.

I couldn't have asked for more.

10 comments:

  1. I am so happy that this happened for you. It brought tears to my eyes (happy tears for you).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very happy for you. As long as we breathe air, it's never too late to mend broken or damaged or strained relationships.

    From what you wrote, it sounds like the healing has begun. May it continue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome news!! I'm so glad you had this time with them and I know it eant more to them than you'll ever know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin, I am so happy for you. What a wonderful day you had. I know you must be very proud! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must have been so proud of your kids. Memories will forever stay with you - so cherish them and especially more so if they are beautiful moments like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Powerful story... thanks for sharing. I am sorry that you had to rush back; I know your heart remained there long after you left.

    Jeremy Gregg, Editor
    The Raiser's Razor
    http://theraiser.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big-time congrats! My daughter graduated this weekend too, so I know where you're coming from. It's great that you got some time with them both… sounds like you're making some progress at last!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just wonderful. I know your heart is just bursting with pride. Though it was only for a brief time, I pray you will have many longer quality moments with your kids in the near future. I know you miss them dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! Mr. kevin for the got the award. It is very special day for you. I am very happy. I am proud of you.
    __________________________
    Anderson smith
    Wide Circles

    ReplyDelete