Wednesday, May 21, 2008

To All You "Dudes" Out There

Yes, I occasionally receive these kinds of comments and emails - I'll highlight it below.

The problem with this way of thinking is that it is more narrow than what exists in reality. These people believe that there are only two sides to every subject. This gives away their lack of real knowledge about the world and the way it works. But, thinking this way is much more convenient, and you don't have to expend much energy on it. Really, it is the way of the intellectually lazy.

If anyone has spent any time reading this blog (reading is an intellectual pursuit), then you would know all the reasons why at this time I am not employed. And it has nothing to do with whether or not I like to work, or whether or not I have adequate courage, or whether or not I'm an "American."

I will not reply directly to the accusations in the comment, this blog is enough of a defense. It will be on the people reading this blog to put enough energy into reading it to find it. And if they can't or won't, there's not much I can do about it.

Here is a comment I received just this morning. Can you find where it goes wrong?
Dude,

I don't get it. You complain about being homeless and now you are asking for contributions to help you pay your rent. I hate my job, boss, etc. It takes real courage just to get out of bed in the morning but, if I didn't I, too, would be homeless. I know it sucks but that is the way the America works. By the by, of your remark, "Do you want fries with that", are you writing that flipping burgers is beneath you? (I guess you won't post this comment because you don't approve of the content.)

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, seems like that guy missed the WHOLE point of your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a kid who lives at home. Wait till his tax burden triples and his credit cards go to 31% and/or he gets laid off because his job went overseas etc.

    There are a lot of stupid attitudes toward the homeless. I had a few of my own until I started to volunteer to help at our local soup kitchen. They've taught me a lot. I found your site through Pistol Pete's blog. You have a great blog going.

    ReplyDelete