Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Homeless Guy Is Changing Things Back

No one group owns or is responsible for homelessness.  Everyone is culpable to one degree or another for its existence and prevalence.  But more importantly, everyone has the ability to lessen the amount and negative effects of homelessness.   Conservative, Liberal, Moderate, Activist, Inactivist, Christian, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Atheist, Caucasian, African, Latino, Persian, Educated, Uneducated, White Collar, Blue Collar, Adult, Teen, Child, etc., etc., can all do something to reduce and end homelessness.  So, I have often struggled with the direction of this blog.

Originally, I posted about all sorts of topics here.  The point of it being that I wanted the general population to understand that there was more to me, and homeless people in general, than just being homeless.  Yet shortly after I started blogging W sent American troops into Iraq.  This divided the American population and strong feelings grew, and animosity between Conservatives and Liberals intensified.  At first I blogged about my objections to the war.  For this my audience dropped in half, so did the few donations I received.   Not all were that way, but most were.  And so I have been riding the fence mostly, trying to not offend while at the same time getting my message across.

In the past 8 years America, and Americans, have changed a lot.  So too have I.  Since I haven't been tied down to some 9 to 5 career, I've been able to dedicate time and energy towards pursuing subjects that interested me.  I've learned a lot.  I've learned more than just how to make money for an employer.

For all this, and more, I've come to a new understanding about my role in life, including my role on the internet.   I have always been the decider of my efforts online, and I'm deciding to take my blogging, and other internet activities, more personally, and will focus more on having them reflect my own ideas and opinions, the good and the bad of them.  Sure, this will mean more opportunities for getting my foot in my mouth.  But, such is life.  I'll continue to make mistakes and learn from them.   More importantly, I will be an influence on the world, and will hopefully be a part of the process that makes the world a better place.

Watch out.  Here comes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment