Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Why The Homeless Guy Blogs

I have a condition of sorts that makes it extremely difficult to socialize in a functional way.  This makes it impossible for me to maintain those things necessary for independent living.  Lord knows I've tried.   As I approach 50 years of age, I think it's pretty clear that I will always need a bit of help in keeping myself out of homelessness.

The world has a way of measuring success that I cannot conform to, the ability to do so is just not in me.  And for this, by all accounts, I am a failure.   But, as a consequence of this, almost by default, I have learned a great deal about homelessness.  And it seems that a lot of people are interested in hearing what I have to say about it, stories of my own experiences, my observations on homelessness, and my opinions on why homelessness is the way it is.  And so, oddly enough I have found a way of succeeding that is outside of what is expected.  As a homeless advocate I have discovered I have some worth.  No, I still cannot make a living at it, I wish I could. But I now know that I have value and a good purpose to live for.

2 comments:

  1. Everyone needs to find something that makes them feel like they have worth.
    I too have a condition that makes social interaction hard for me. I find a lot of my self worth through writing and blogging and finding some way of helping others.

    I think what you do is amazing and I think of you often and hope that you are well.

    http://fromlazytolady.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying to find value in our lives outside the traditional definitions is a challenge for many of us.

    I think you have educated very many people who, like rippes in a pond, will spread farther than we can know. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete