Friday, January 21, 2011

Where I Was Born And Grew Up

(sometimes this post doesn't load well on the first try because of the maps. just refresh the page once and it will be fine. thanks)
At times like these, whatever "these" is, it is good to step back, take a look at the big picture, and recap.

But first, let me get some tea on to boil. brb

Ok, to start with, this is where I was born.

I was born on January 5th 1961 at the Chula Vista Community Hospital. For those who don't know, Chula Vista is a small town just south of San Diego. From a look at maps.google.com, the building appears to now be a nursing home.

View collingwoood manor nursing facility in a larger map

From there I was taken home. It was a little cottage near the interstate with a clear view of the airport and close to where my father worked.


View Larger Map

Now, it's been a long time since I'd seen the home movies, but I recall that we lived on a corner, which would be this empty lot here. But according to maps.google that house on the right corresponds with the address on my birth certificate. I don't talk to my parents so there's no way to confirm which it is, but it's one of the two in the picture. Although I was just a toddler when we left this location, I still have memories of standing on a couch and watching through a window as the planes landed.

Then we moved to Jutland Drive.

View Larger Map

We stayed here until my father bought his first house. I was 4 years old then, and I still remember what it looked like before we moved in. I actually remember going with my parents to the sales office where they finished the deal. Afterwards we drove back to the house dad just bought and saw that a realtor was inside it showing the house to other people. My father couldn't resist going inside to tell them that the place was now his. Then we drove back to Jutland Drive to start packing. A day or two later, while dad was at work, and my brother at school, my mother and I had Jack-In-The-Box for lunch on the floor of what was to be my bedroom. It was just the two of us, mom telling me that I now had a bedroom of my own. The sun was streaming through my window onto the floor around us. The rest of the world did not exist. I think that was the best moment I ever had with my mother.


View Larger Map

I lived here with my parents, until finishing high school. It looks better now than it ever did when we were there.