Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Hope Costs $2.26

If you followed my blog you may remember the issue I brought up about the local rescue mission and it's fund raising practices. Basic message, for X number of dollars and spare cents you can buy a meal for a homeless person. It's been a very successful campaign. The problem is, I have eaten at the mission. I know what the food is like, or should I say, "not like." What the meals are not, is worth the amount of money they say goes towards meals at the mission. A common breakfast at the rescue mission consisted of a scoop of soggy rice sometimes covered with gravy and a couple pieces of often stale bread, and a day old donut. What this meal wasn't, was worth more than 50 cents.

Moreover, I know that the majority of the food given to the homeless at the mission is donated, so regardless of any particular meal being worth a couple bucks, the rescue mission certainly isn't spending the amount of money on food they are collecting on behalf of the homeless.

So, now look at what they've done. They continue with the same advertisement, sans the line, "buys a meal for a homeless person." Now the message looks a bit odd. I guess they are just expecting people to fill in the blanks. Or maybe, what they are actually saying is that Hope costs $2.26. Or for that amount of money they will give some hope to the homeless. I don't know.

What I would like to see is a break down of that $2.26. How much of that is actually making it down to the homeless, and how much of it is diverted to "overhead." There are cheaper ways of helping the homeless. See http://thekeyalliance.org for more info on that.

Here's hoping that the homeless will actually get a meal worth $2.26.

1 comment:

  1. I just hopped, not hoped, into your blog and scrolled down to this posting. At CityTeam in San Jose, CA we eat pretty well. However, I think having the food made 'to-go' would be a better solution than having to stand in line, hoping (there's that word again) to get out into the world with enough time to do my daily business. Oh yeah, then getting back to the mission before dinner, which starts at 5 pm, leaves us 'needy' people in need of extra time between post-breakfeast (7 am) and dinner.

    -PickTrevor in San Jose

    ReplyDelete