Thursday, March 13, 2014

Tick Tock Tick Tock...

The clock is counting.   I have 10 days, maybe, before I am exited from the "tent".   Can I find an apartment of some kind before then?   Most people in my situation have regular Social Security and SSI (a supplemental payment for disability), but I only get the SSI since I did not pay enough into Social Security.   I had never been employed long enough to qualify.   SSI is the smaller of the two amounts, and really isn't enough to live on.   It seems like every city has jacked up their economies just enough to make living on SSI just out of reach.    I have already had Section 8, so I don't think I would qualify for it again, and I don't really like having to wear that leash.  SSI is bad enough with the government monitoring your every move and all your income.

With getting an apartment comes the "application".  Here they are charging 30 to 40 bucks per.   If I apply to 10 housing units it will cost from 300 to 400 dollars.   And with my housing record, well, I just don't look so good on paper.   But even if I did get a place, it would be just a room, no kitchen, a shared bathroom down the hall, etc.   The barest of essentials.  And it would take nearly all my income to pay for it.   Yeah, San Diego is an expensive place to live, but they also give more in SSI here to compensate.  No matter where I go, it's going to be difficult to get by, financially.     If you are in financial straits and go to the government for help, the government will require that you stay poor.  As soon as you start to improve your financial situation, they'll start reducing your benefits.   Which is so ridiculous.   If the government wants you off the dole, the best thing would be to reward folks for moving towards financial independence.

Anyway, I will be putting in some applications for apartments this next week.   If this doesn't pan out, I'll be back to cement surfing soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment