Wednesday, March 26, 2014

What You Say Matters

It really does. Regardless of who you are talking to, the words you use, the manner in which you use them, and the intent behind them, all have an effect on the people receiving those words.   Any denial of this fact is a denial of one's own humanity.

For the first part of my life, nearly every word spoken to me was negative, even if what was said wasn't about me, although most of it was.   Those mean, hateful, negative words, most of which came out of the mouths of my immediate family, still echo in my head today.   Any time I consider making any decision, I have to fight through the cloud of negativity that lingers in my head, before I can make it a reality.  Even as an adult, I always hesitate before moving forward, and often times I talk myself out of doing things, using those negative words, negative ideas, that were instilled in me so long ago.

It's funny, even when my parents were motivated to say something positive to me, they couldn't help but tag something negative to the end of it - backhanded compliments, if you will.

    "Oh, nice job getting an A on that school assignment.  Why can't you do that more often"?  or "... sure, but that's an easy class."  etc.

These words are still with me today, and have become an obstacle to living a fuller life.

Remember this, and don't make the same mistake with the people in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment