Thursday, June 5, 2014

About Me


At this time of year the readership of my blog usually drops, but for some reason I'm not sure of, there are more readers here, not fewer.

And I'm not sure if y'all are familiar with me and blog so I guess I should do a short (and always incomplete) "About Me" post.

  • I was born in 1961 in San Diego California
  • I became homeless the first time in 1982
  • I have lived in Nashville since 1982
  • I returned to San Diego in 2013
  • I have Asperger's Syndrome
  • I also suffering from major depression and anxiety
  • I receive a disability check for my mental health issues
  • I am not a good writer, I just have more time than most to fix my bad writing
  • I have lived about 15 years on the streets
  • I have lived just about as long in a variety of shelters and halfway houses.
  • I served in the U.S. Navy for 2 years
  • I attended college for a year and a half
  • I was a photographer of sorts, before the digital age
  • I won a few local awards for my photography, and put on a handful of gallery shows. One of my photographs graced the cover of "Shots" a photographic arts magazine
  • I was married for about 6 years.
  • I have two grown children
  • I have been blogging about homelessness since Aug of 2002
  • I flunked typing twice in high school, now I spend every day on a keyboard
  • I got bad grades in English through out my public school years - now I'm known for being a writer - (if you are struggling in school don't worry, in time you'll be able to over come it)
  • I write about homelessness, sharing my personal experiences with being homeless, because very few people understand it.   People's ignorance about homelessness makes it harder for homeless people to escape from it.
  • I lack the ability to do the things necessary to get myself out of homelessness. If I had those skills, I would have never become homeless in the first place and I wouldn't be writing this.
  • Just because I can't get myself out of homelessness does not mean I can't do anything right.
  • There is more to homeless people than being homeless.
  • I have no plans to leave San Diego.
  • If a reasonable opportunity to get off the streets presents itself, I'll take it.

1 comment: