Sunday, June 8, 2014

I Am Sick And Tired


The symptoms came on slowly for a couple days.  Now it's a full blown cold.  My nasal passages are stuffed.  I've been taking a generic sudafed.  But even my ears seem congested - I can hear the hollowness of my own head.

Every night there is a cold breeze blowing in from the ocean.  Even while in the sleeping bag, the top of my head is exposed to that cold breeze and it's really uncomfortable.

Then there's the issue of sleeping outside.  Even though it seems like I'm getting the same amount of sleep that I was in the tent, I always wake up feeling like I didn't get any sleep at all.  And the nods are on me.  Working on the laptop, I'm very susceptible to nodding off - bobble-head style.   I almost missed my trolley stop today cause I fell asleep while riding along.  I was riding the trolley to the Y so to get a shower.  The shower always wakes me up some and that's good.  But I've been sleeping on the sidewalk for a week now and it's sapping my strength.   This really isn't a surprise, it happens to almost everyone when they are homeless, it even happens to me when I'm in certain shelters.   The productivity of my sleep is near zero.  Not only am I sleepy, but I don't have much strength either.

Sometimes you'll see homeless people laying about in the middle of the day. You might be inclined to call them lazy, but really, being homeless is punishing, even brutal, sometimes.  More than likely, those people are just suffering from sleep deprivation.  There is no need to hate on them. It really isn't enough to sleep on the streets if you are uncomfortable, or are worried and stressed.  No one can completely relax while on the streets, especially when trying to sleep.  I'm sure that makes the sleep less than productive.  One's body doesn't get a chance to regenerate from the toils of the previous day.

Being tired isn't going to help me overcome my cold any.   I will be going to my sleeping spot a couple hours earlier tonight, hopefully that will help some.  Being that it's Sunday night it should will be quiet around the place.   Last night it was pretty obvious when all the clubs closed down for the night.   The revelers all left the downtown area at the same time, being loud and obnoxious along the way. Many of them walk down the street where the homeless sleep.

Oh, and speaking of obnoxious.    I've noticed that the trolley drivers like to blow their horns as they travel through the area where the homeless sleep - even when there really is no cause to be blowing their horns.   As if the trolleys themselves aren't big noise generators.   The tracks rattle and the ground rumbles as they pass.   The horn is just adding insult to injury.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you get well fast and that something comes up for you or you are able to find a safer place to sleep. Of course, my wish for you is that you can find a home, no matter how humble, if that is what you want. Take care Kevin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, it's not a matter of what I want, but what I can achieve. The idea that, a homeless person could get off the streets if he really wanted to, is false. Once people realize this we'll begin getting homeless people off the streets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For sure. I wasn't implying that you could get off the streets if only you tried harder, no way. For what it's worth, my wish is that you can find warmth and safety. Get better soon Kevin.

    ReplyDelete